Volunteering in "Save the Children Lithuania"

    Not a while ago one of my classmates offered to the whole class to volunteer for a public organization "Save the Children Lithuania" ("Gelbėkit vaikus"). Almost everyone agreed to take part including me.
    So yesterday was the day Augustė, Ugnė and I were inviting "Rimi" supermarket customers to donate part of their discount card money to socially sponsored children of Lithuania.
Augustė, Ugnė and I
    Within two hours we managed to talk in about twenty people to set their card settings so that at the  end of each month all or part of their saved money would be donated. It was quite a surprise for us that the first person who agreed with our offering was a foreigner. He was generous enough to give away all 100% of discount card money.
   Despite the high number of people who made donations, there were much more the ones who refused to even listen us till the end. The majority of passers-by were rushing or making stupid excuses such as "I have my own kids", "I've just spent all the money on the card", "I don't have a "Rimi" card" etc. It was quite a frustration to see how apathetic Lithuanian people are to the ones who can't take care of themselves. 
   There were also several people ready to give us money and unfortunately, we had to refuse this kind of help. However, it was still nice to know they were willing to help.


    Actually, I also participated in this action and after buying "Rimi" discount card assigned half of its money to the organization "Gelbėkit vaikus".
    Yesterday was very momentous for me as I understood how important it is not to give up doing a meaningful act and always remember that there are human beings who need aid from the others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making origami figures

Learning spelling and syntax

Great price - great job