Creating fruit-art

Parents always tell their children not to play with their food and my parents used to repeat this every time I was making an entertainment out of food as well. We all grow up out of this kind of childish phase; however, it's always enjoyable to remember even such silly moments of your childhood as food-play. Today I did just that and even though some might not consider fruit "carving" equal to playing with food, I still think it's more of a game rather than art. 
Despite being fascinated by the concept of making different objects out of simple fruits or vegetables since I can remember, I have never before tried carving fruits. Today I finally got my hands on this activity and tried to create working conditions as much favourable as possible. First of all, to successfully carve fruits I had to have properly sharpened knives which my dad kindly took care of; second of all, those knives should have preferably been specialized for carving meaning they would have been smaller than usual knives, but I didn't have those so instead used the smallest knife I could find at home; and third of all, to obtain a satisfactory result I followed YouTube video instructions of the shapes I wanted to make. After considering all of these aspects I rolled up my sleeves and got down to carving. The first shape I made was flowers out of an orange. I managed to obtain a more or less decent flower only from my second try while the first one was a complete fail as I didn't know how deep and at what angle the cuts should be. Then I attempted to make a swan out of an apple which was a success from the first try! The result was incomparably better than the flowers and made me feel very proud. Also, I think it's important to mention that beforehand I went to the supermarket and got the hardest apples I could find to make the carving easier which definitely paid off. There were half an apple left over from making a swan and I decided to pick a few simple ideas first to come up on the suggestions board of YouTube. The first was a leaf and even though from the first glance it looked very simple, the technique was much more difficult and to make such an object I definitely lacked some specialized smaller and narrower knives. The result was disappointing and even embarrassing compare to the previous swan. The last and actually the least was supposed to be a flower but it turned out into something else I can't really name. It reminds me of those childhood toys that you spin on the floor. 
Concluding, it was a very pleasurable and even relaxing activity. It's surprising that I had fun without any company while making fruit-art. This playing with food made me realize that it's much more difficult than it looks and it requires not only special equipment but special skills obtained through practice as well. It was nice to try something different and who knows, maybe at some point of my life the skill of making a swan or flowers will be useful. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making origami figures

Learning spelling and syntax

Great price - great job