Spreading the message

   We all know that Christmas is about sharing and not only within your own family but with others around you as well. This year I got a chance to share in a totally new way to me by giving strangers flyers. Not any kind of flyers but those inviting to visit International Christmas Charity Bazaar (ICCB) at the Rotuse of Vilnius. This annual event is organized by International Women's association of Vilnius and more than 40 contributing Embassies and organizations. Hundreds of participants prepare hand-made souvenirs and treats to be sold at the bazaar. All the collected money is always donated to carefully selected Lithuanian charities and at this 14th ICCB more than 100 000 euros were raised. It is so satisfying to know that I was one of the people who spread the message of the event and may be thanks to me one or another person dedicated their time and money to the charity.
   I might have created an illusion that this activity caused only positive emot
ions, however, it is not like that at all. I would not dare to say that negative feelings visited me at any point, but I definitely had some struggles. First of all, it was really hard to overcome a sloth inside me and wake up as early as on weekdays. Second of all, I was not pleased at all by the thought of walking up and down the same street in the centre of Vilnius numerous times, especially in cold and gloomy weather. And third of all, I was a little nervous to talk to strangers as I have had experience of rejection and ignore in the past. Looking back at it now, all my fears were quite silly and I am glad I overcame myself.
   I should also mention that I was never alone while giving away flyers so it helped me to be more confident and positive. Moreover, the whole process was twice faster than it would have been if I worked alone. Team work always pays off.
   When there was no need to spread the information about ICCB and we could go home the volunteer coordinator was kind enough to even give all the volunteers certificates of appreciation including me. It was a great surprise and believe it or not, I really enjoyed the experience.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making origami figures

Learning spelling and syntax

Great price - great job