Helping the poor again

   Last Saturday was the first day of spring break but it was not time to relax for me yet. Once again my evening was dedicated to "Food bank", just as half a year ago. However, this time I was not only handing out symbolic gifts to the people donating food but completing a few other tasks as well. After an hour of standing by the gathering table I switched jobs with the other volunteer who was inviting "Rimi" market shoppers to donate while handing out flyers to them. I didn't expect to find this job challenging, but at times the struggle was real. A lot of people were ignoring me and passing by as quickly as they could but it was all outweighed with those who thanked nicely while smiling. As my shift was the last one that day, two hours later we had to tidy up and I volunteered to collect flyers around the shop. Even after walking back and forth numerous times still finding hidden flyers in the most unexpected places I don't think I collected them all. It is unbelievable how creative people are.
   Overall, this experience taught me that I still need to work on my ability to cope with rejection of strangers because every time people passed by with ignorant faces I felt a little disappointed. Despite that, team work at Food bank was great as people I worked with totally understood the necessity of splitting jobs and changing periodically between them. Also, it was nice to meet new people with the same passion to help others. This time the feeling of satisfaction was even greater as I already knew what to do and could improve my skills majorly. Next time, I think it is worth for me to try to coordinate the team and not only be a part of it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making origami figures

Learning spelling and syntax

Great price - great job