International event for the little ones

Nowhere near have I planned to spend my Sunday as a volunteer in an International "Labas" theatre festival but a random proposal by my English teacher got me extremely interested and curious.
   It wasn't actually until the early evening of Saturday when I finally found out what kind of event will I be volunteering at. It appeared to be, as earlier mentioned, theater festival, yet not an ordinary one but comprising of performers from Ireland, Belgium and Israel and intended for a very young audience. To be honest, I wasn't fascinated by the idea of being surrounded by a crowd of restless screaming children all day. Luckily, volunteers were assured that no chaos will be present. I didn't know what to expect then but now, after participation, I can say that some disarray was not avoided. At first, there was quite a decent number of volunteers but not as much work to do. I arranged sitting space in two performance halls and helped one of the festival participants to get ready before the opening of the festival. After the launch I tried to guide new visitors in the building though usually unsuccessfully as no one provided us any information about where every performance will take place. It was frustrating to disappoint people as my initial task was to help them. Furthermore, more time was wasted than productively spent as there was not even a lot to do for performances I was assigned to. It took not more that ten minutes to prepare the space for "Bubbles", which was simply to fill in plastic containers with water, due to super efficient work together with other volunteers. As for "Waaw!" there was nothing to help with at all. However, this was the only performance I got a chance to watch and an exclusive instrumental virtuoso Joeri Wens from Belgium left a great impression on me.
After all, even though it as an average experience in terms of volunteering, I overcame the challenge and stayed till the end, which the organizers were actually really grateful for. Moreover, I was glad to have a chance to observe with a corner of an eye how such events, to which I would never go intentionally, proceed. The thing I truly learned once again is that team work is the best way for quick task completion.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making origami figures

Learning spelling and syntax

Great price - great job