Waves of the christening ocean


FINALLY. The day of pay-back has dawned. One year ago I got to experience the loud outcry (and sincere greetings afterwards)  of Lyceum students, I got to complete various tasks in the city centre, I got to perform YMCA dance and in the end, I got to be drenched in water (while being sick). Fortunately, this year I only got to watch others experience all of this (ironically, once again, while being sick).

Of course, before enjoying 'the show' everything needed to be prepared and I chose to take into advantage my artistic skills and contribute to the decor of the event. A few of my friends and I took the task of drawing waves as the theme of christening was ‘oceans’. I imagined it to be quite an easy and entertaining task, but it appeared to be completely opposite. I realized that to be able to draw realistic waves you actually have to know all the concepts of proper drawing and being a total amateur I failed at the very first attempt. The waves seemed flat and monochrome but after Regina joined in, it was all corrected. She managed to mix dark enough colours for shadowing – the number one task I struggled with before as there was a limited range of colours provided, the majority of which were pastel ones. So, you might say that Regina saved the waves. I won’t deny that the contribution of others, including me, was important and significant as well. Everyone added their one input and the end result turned out stunningly. It actually looked like the ocean and the feeling of pride, I believe, was in all of who joined.

However, we didn’t confine ourselves to only drawing, we also had to decide where and how to hang those waves. At first, the piece was cut in half lengthwise to extend the area that it could cover. Afterwards, we encountered the real challenge. It was hard to think of an effective place and way of hanging. After considering all the possibilities, we agreed to do it on the bottom of the ‘scene’ area. I’m glad we did so because it fitted there so well! The next challenge was to secure the drawing so it won’t get blown off as the weather that day was really windy. (Un)luckily, the tiles in the schoolyard are coming apart and we were able to use some pieces as weights to hold the paper in place. Double-sided duct tape was a true saviour in this situation. After all, our hilarious but smart construction held the décor in place all through the event and it was a total success. Most importantly, the main organizers were as pleased as we were with the end result and it’s all we strived for.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making origami figures

Learning spelling and syntax

Great price - great job